- AAA’s Hottest Record Of The Week: The Filthy Tongues - Mummy Can't Drive
- Mystery Jets postpone new album and cancel Edinburgh gig
- The 1975 to play two gigs in Scotland on 2020 UK tour
- Miles Kane shares video for new single ahead of Edinburgh show
- The Who to visit Scotland on UK tour - here's how to get tickets
Ahead of his visit to Edinburgh this summer, Noel Gallagher has responded to Oasis’ Live Forever being voted the best British song ever.
The iconic Manchester band’s third single from their 1994 debut Definitely Maybe came out on top in a new Radio X poll, which featured no fewer than five Oasis songs in its top 10.
Live Forever beat Bohemian Rhapsody to the top spot. The Queen classic had topped the station’s annual Best Of British poll in 2017.
Other Oasis songs in the top 10 included Don’t Look Back In Anger (3), Wonderwall (6), Slide Away (7) and Champagne Supernova (9).
“I have always tried to aim higher than I think is possible,” said Gallagher, who plays a massive outdoor gig at Edinburgh Castle on 19 July. “Some people try to be bigger or better than their contemporaries or their predecessors… Me? I’m just trying to be better than myself, which as we now know is virtually impossible.”
Matt Deverson, managing editor of Radio X, added: “This year, we see Oasis take the number one spot in a Top 100 that features truly great British tunes from across the decades.
“The release of Live Forever in 1994 heralded the arrival of an era-defining debut album from one of the country’s greatest bands – it was a hugely exciting moment for British music. It’s a very special song and within the past year we have seen it resonate with even more poignancy as a much-loved Manchester anthem.”
Check out the top 20 below.
1. Oasis – Live Forever
2. Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody
3. Oasis – Don’t Look Back in Anger
4. The Stone Roses – I Am the Resurrection
5. The Verve – Bitter Sweet Symphony
6. Oasis – Wonderwall
7. Oasis – Slide Away
8. The Smiths – There is a Light That Never Goes Out
9. Oasis – Champagne Supernova
10. Arctic Monkeys – I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor
11. The Stone Roses – I Wanna Be Adored
12. David Bowie – Heroes
13. Arctic Monkeys – A Certain Romance
14. David Bowie – Life On Mars?
15. Led Zeppelin – Stairway To Heaven
16. Pulp – Common People
17. Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here
18. The Rolling Stones – Gimme Shelter
19. The Stone Roses – She Bangs The Drums
20. The Courteeners – Not Nineteen Forever