The Strokes say Donald Trump will produce next album

Guitarist Nick Valensi has spoken about The Strokes’ future in a new interview, joking that they’ve enlisted the services of Donald Trump to produce their next album.

The New York City band released their Future Present Past EP earlier this year, but have not released a full studio album since since 2013’s Comedown Machine. The band have, however, been working on the follow-up for quite some time.

Speaking to Zane Lowe on Apple’s Beats 1 radio, Valensi said, “I love being in [The Strokes], I love the weirdness.”

He added, “Donald Trump is producing [the next album]… It’s the five of us and all our issues. It’s going to be awesome music. Julian is psyched about it. He’s very moody so if you have him psyched about music it means were on the right track.”

Speaking about why the band decided to release an EP rather than a full album earlier this year, Valensi said, “We started to make a record and then thought well these songs are good so lets just put these three out. Maybe we’ll do it again.”

Valensi’s new band CRX will release their debut album ‘New Skin’, produced by Queens of the Stone Age’s Josh Homme, tomorrow (Oct 28).

In a recent interview with NME,  Valensi said The Strokes hope to release new music next year.

“The Strokes are alive and well and living in New York City,” he told the music magazine. “We are working on music and we want to hopefully put music out next year.”

Valensi said he’s a tad wary of saying too much about the possibility of new music, saying: “If I start saying a lot now, people get too excited. Then there’s all this hype you’ve got to compete with, and that’s not fun.

“If anything,” he added, “I’d rather just pull a Beyonce at some point next year and just drop sh*t.”

In 2009, The Strokes’ 2001 debut album Is This It topped the 100 Greatest Albums Of The Decade list in a poll by NME magazine.

Leave a Comment