Comedian Adam Rowe’s joke about getting fired from a Job Centre has been named the funniest at this year’s Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
Rowe’s line: “Working at the Job Centre has to be a tense job – knowing that if you get fired, you still have to come in the next day” scooped the 11th annual award for Dave’s Funniest Joke Of The Fringe.
The gag, from Rowe’s show Undeniable, took with 41 per cent of a public vote on a shortlist of jokes selected by comedy critics.
“I thought my agent was lying,” says Rowe on hearing he’d won. “He rang me and told me I couldn’t tell anyone for a week which has been almost impossible.
“I’m massively taken aback by it, I’ve never seen myself as being in the running for things like this.
“It’s a massive honour and a genuinely huge surprise.”
Previous winners of the award include Tim Vine, Zoe Lyons and Stewart Francis.
You can see the Top Ten jokes from the Edinburgh Fringe below.
The top 10 jokes from the Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2018
1. “Working at the Job Centre has to be a tense job – knowing that if you get fired, you still have to come in the next day” – Adam Rowe
2. “I had a job drilling holes for water – it was well boring” – Leo Kearse
3. “I took out a loan to pay for an exorcism. If I don’t pay it back, I’m going to get repossessed” – Olaf Falafel
4. “In my last relationship, I hated being treated like a piece of meat. She was a vegan and refused to touch me” – Daniel Audritt
5. “What do colour blind people do when they are told to eat their greens?” – Flo and Joan
6. “I’ve got a new job collecting all the jumpers left in the park at the weekends, but it’s not easy. They keep moving the goalposts” – Darren Walsh
7. “Trump said he’d build a wall but he hasn’t even picked up a brick. He’s just another middle-aged man failing on a DIY project” – Justin Moorhouse
8= “I lost a friend after we had an argument about the Tardis. I thought it was a little thing, but it seemed much bigger once we got into it” – Adele Cliff
8= “Why are they calling it Brexit and not The Great British Break Off?” – Alex Edelman
10. “I think love is like central heating. You turn it on before guests arrive and pretend it’s like this all the time” – Laura Lexx