Edinburgh author Irvine Welsh has revealed that the eagerly-awaited sequel to Trainspotting will start shooting in May.
Confirming the news on the Beaks And Geeks podcast, the Leith-born novelist told listeners: “We have all the team up now and are opening an office in March. We start shooting on May 16.”
As previously reported on AAA, original cast members Ewan McGregor, Ewen Bremner, Jonny Lee Miller and Robert Carlyle are all officially on board for the follow-up to the 1996 classic film, which followed the lives of drug addict Mark Renton and his hapless pals.
“I have been helping out as executive producer,” added Welsh before going on to confirm that he will also be returning to the big screen for a cameo.
“They have also cast me again in the film, so I’m reprising my role as Mikey Forrester, the drug dealer.”
Carlyle, who will reprise his role as psycho Begbie, was full of praise recently for John Hodge’s loose adaptation of Welsh’s novel Porno.
“Yeah, we’ve already had a read-through of the script – we did that in the springtime,” said the 54-year-old. “You’re going to think, ‘Of course he’s going to say this’, but honestly, it’s one of the best scripts I’ve f**king read. I mean, EVER.”
Carlyle went on to say that the forthcoming sequel will make audiences think about their own lives as the action takes place 20 years after the events in the first film.
“I’ve never seen a sequel that takes place 20 years after the original, so I think that gives it a certain unique quality,” said Carlyle. “And the way [screenwriter] John Hodge has put this thing down, obviously with the help of [director] Danny Boyle, is to make it about how the characters’ lives have moved on… or have they?
“Without giving anything away, maybe some of them haven’t really moved on. That’s what the audience is going to have to go through with them. I tell you, this film is going to be quite emotional for people. Because the film sort of tells you to think about yourself. You are going to be thinking: “F**k. What have I done with my life?”