- West Lothian band The Snuts on longlist for Scottish Album of the Year Award
- Review: 9 to 5 The Musical, Edinburgh Playhouse ****
- TRNSMT 2022: The Strokes, Paolo Nutini and Lewis Capaldi announced for next summer's event
- TRNSMT 2021: Day 2 round-up
- TRNSMT 2021: Festival-goers must take Covid test before attending event in Glasgow
Consistently hailed as one of Scotland’s finest troubadours, Dean Owens was formerly lead singer of much-loved Americana outfit The Felsons before going on to forge a successful solo career.
The Leith singer, who counts Irvine Welsh and Russell Brand among his fans, is about to release his latest album (his seventh) on Brighton’s At The Helm Records.
Southern Wind is the title track – and it’s our Hottest Record of the Week.
Co-written with Dean’s long term musical collaborator, Will Kimbrough, it’s the song that got the whole ball rolling.
To mark it, he has released a new video – dark, moody and powerfully evocative, with echoes of Trainspotting, Peaky Blinders and The The’s The Infected.
It was filmed – by Portobello-based Waltzer Films – in and around Leith, where Dean grew up, including at Scotland’s oldest boxing club, Leith Victoria AAC Boxing Club (whose former members include world champion Ken Buchanan, as well as Dean himself).
It features a cameo from actor (and fellow Leither) Jamie Sives (Jory Cassel from Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, Clash of the Titans and the upcoming Outlaw King (William Wallace)) as The Boxer.
Check it out below.