Noel Gallagher has spoken of his delight after Wonderwall by Oasis was named as the Best British Song of All Time in a special Radio X poll.
“What can I say? The people have spoken,” said the 48-year-old rock star. “The fact that there wasn’t one single Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds song in the top 20 makes think the whole thing is a mockery of an unreliable sham!
“Saying that, though, I’m thrilled,” he added.
Remarkably, Oasis held four places out of the Top 5 in the chart, with the 1995 classic Wonderwall followed by Don’t Look Back In Anger (2), Champagne Supernova (3) and Live Forever (4).
I Am The Resurrection, the classic Stone Roses hit from 1989’s self-titled debut album, brought up the rear at Number 5.
Over 50,000 votes were cast in the Top 100 countdown, which was revealed on Radio X on Easter Monday (28 March).
Arctic Monkeys’ I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor came in at number six, followed by David Bowie’s classic hits Heroes (7) and Life On Mars. The rest of the Top 10 was completed by The Verve’s Bittersweet Symphony (9) and The Rolling Stones’ Gimme Shelter (10).
Surprisingly, there were no entries in the Top 20 for Radiohead, who often come out on top of the best album polls.
Radio X’s Best British Song of All Time poll:
1. Oasis – Wonderwall
2. Oasis – Don’t Look Back In Anger
3. Oasis – Champagne Supernova
4. Oasis – Live Forever
5. The Stone Roses – I Am The Resurrection
6. Arctic Monkeys – I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor
7. David Bowie – Heroes
8. David Bowie – Life On Mars?
9. The Verve – Bittersweet Symphony
10. The Rolling Stones – Gimme Shelter
11. Elbow – One Day Like This
12. Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody
13. The Beatles – Hey Jude
14. Pulp – Common People
15. The Smiths – There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
16. Oasis – Slide Away
17. The Stone Roses – Fool’s Gold
18. The Smiths – How Soon Is Now
19. The Beatles – A Day In The Life
20. Joy Division – Love Will Tear Us Apart